Ophthalomology / First Visit
This service is available at:
Bulger Veterinary Hospital
Capital District Veterinary Referral Hospital
Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital
Port City Veterinary Referral Hospital
Prior To Visit
- Have your veterinarian fax medical record to us prior to your appointment.
- Collect your current and previous ophthalmic medications to bring to the visit.
- We recommend no breakfast for your pet the morning of the visit in case a surgical procedure is recommended for that day.
- Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your examination time to complete any paperwork.
The First Visit
- The veterinary ophthalmic technician will perform preliminary examinations including:
- Tear production test
- Glaucoma test
- Examination for corneal ulceration
It is very possible that your veterinarian has performed these tests recently; however our staff performs these procedures on all new cases as the condition of the eye can change very quickly.
- The ophthalmologist will examine the front of the eye with a biomicroscope and the retina with an ophthalmoscope.
- He or she will discuss her examination findings. Depending on your pet’s condition, she may recommend ophthalmic medications, surgery, additional diagnostic tests, or a combination of all of the above.
You will leave with a detailed discharge record explaining your pet’s condition, instructions for administering medications, information about medications, and an estimate for any recommended additional procedures. In addition, we will fax a letter to your family veterinarian explaining her findings and recommendations.