Lightening Strikes, Dog Survives Ensuing House FireJuly 27, 2009

July 27, 2009, N. Andover, MA – A house fire in Methuen was possibly sparked by lightening. The Methuen fire department was called in at 6:32pm. The owner was away from home and his 10 year old dog had made her way into the basement, near the door to the garage, where she was rescued by firefighters. Calisto, an Argentine Dogo, was brought to Essex County Veterinary Referral Hospital for smoke inhalation. Her eyes are red and irritated, she smells of smoke and fire, though she is otherwise fortunately, unhurt.  An event such as this serves as an important reminder to pet owners to have an emergency plan in place.

If you are leaving your pet at home, do your neighbors know what pets you have, how many of them there are and what they look like? Do you have a friend who can take your pet(s) to the emergency hospital on your behalf if that becomes necessary? Is there a veterinary emergency hospital near you, and if so, do you know how to get there? Do you have current contact information and do your friends or pet sitters know this information?

Calisto was rescued by firefighters and friends of the owner brought her to Essex County Veterinary Referral Hospital in North Andover.  Calisto has not developed pneumonia and seems to be recovering nicely. This is a perfect example of a frightening situation working out as well as could be hoped.  The house has suffered significant fire damage, but nobody was hurt.

Contact:
Lonna Battles, Senior Marketer
150 Presidential Way, Suite 200, Woburn, MA 01801
Phone: 781-897-6999
Director of Marketing
20 Cabot Road,
Woburn, MA 01801
781.932.5802

24 Hour Emergency & Specialty

Boston West Veterinary Emergency and Specialty


Directions

Capital District Veterinary Referral Hospital


Directions

Massachusetts Veterinary Referral Hospital


Directions

Port City Veterinary Referral Hospital


Directions